You’re Not Insecure. You’re Underestimating Yourself
The uncomfortable truth about confidence: you may not need more of it. You may need a more accurate opinion of yourself.
Here is a controversial idea:
Some of the people who call themselves “insecure” are not actually lacking ability. They are simply using an outdated, overly critical measurement system to evaluate themselves.
They look at what they haven’t accomplished and ignore what they have already survived.
They compare their beginning to someone else’s middle.
They treat one mistake as evidence of incompetence.
They wait until they feel confident before taking action—when, in reality, confidence is often built after action.
And this creates a frustrating cycle:
I don't feel ready → I hesitate → I get less experience → I have less evidence that I can do it → I feel even less ready.
That isn't a character flaw.
It's a feedback loop.
And research on self-efficacy the belief that you can successfully perform a specific task, suggests that these beliefs are connected to motivation and performance, although the relationship is more complicated than the internet's “just believe in yourself” advice suggests. A large meta-analysis found a positive relationship between self-efficacy and work-related performance, while later research shows that the strength of that relationship depends on the task and context.
So perhaps the real question isn't:
❌“How do I become more confident?”
It is:
π“What evidence am I ignoring about what I'm already capable of?"
Confidence Isn't The Same Thing As Competence
This distinction matters.
A confident person can be wrong.
An insecure person can be extremely capable.
And someone can be highly competent while still experiencing intense self-doubt.
Psychological research on self-assessment finds that people's perceptions of their abilities are only moderately aligned with objective performance. In a synthesis covering 22 meta-analyses, the average relationship between self-evaluations and actual performance was moderate—not perfect.
In other words:
How you feel about your ability is not a perfect measurement of your ability.
Read that again.
Feeling nervous before a presentation doesn't prove you're bad at presenting.
Feeling unqualified for a promotion doesn't prove you're unqualified.
Feeling like everyone else knows more than you doesn't prove everyone else knows more.
Your emotions are information.
They are not always evidence.
This is where many professionals get stuck. They treat discomfort as a verdict.
But discomfort can simply mean:
π“This is unfamiliar.”
Not:
❌“I can't do this.”
Stop Asking, “Do I Feel Confident?” Ask, “What Evidence Do I Have?”
This may be one of the most useful changes you can make to your professional life.
Instead of:
❌“Do I feel qualified?”
Ask:
π₯“What evidence suggests that I can handle this?”
Maybe you've solved similar problems before.
Maybe clients repeatedly ask for your expertise.
Maybe you've trained other people.
Maybe you have recovered from failures that once seemed impossible.
Maybe you've been promoted.
Maybe you've built something from nothing.
Maybe you've been doing difficult work for years and simply stopped noticing that it became difficult because you became better at it.
This is especially important because self-efficacy isn't created exclusively by positive thinking.
Research examining the sources of self-efficacy found that actual performance accomplishments had the strongest unique association with self-efficacy among the four major sources studied.
Translation:
Doing hard things successfully creates evidence. Evidence creates belief. Belief makes future action easier.
That's a much stronger strategy than repeating affirmations you don't believe.
Your Biggest Confidence Problem May Be Your Memory
Here's something people rarely talk about:
We are terrible historians of ourselves when we're insecure.
We remember the embarrassing meeting.
The rejection.
The failed interview.
The presentation where we stumbled.
The business idea that didn't work.
The email we wish we hadn't sent.
But what about the 100 things that went right?
Those become invisible.
This creates what I call the Evidence Gap:
πThe gap between what you've actually accomplished and what you allow yourself to count as an accomplishment.
You don't need to exaggerate your achievements.
You need to stop deleting them.
Try keeping a simple “proof file.”
Every week, record:
- A problem you solved
- Something you learned
- Positive feedback you received
- A difficult conversation you handled
- A decision you made
- Something you finished despite resistance
- A measurable result you created
❌Don't write:
“I'm amazing.”
π₯Write:
“I increased X.”
“I solved Y.”
“I completed Z.”
Specific evidence is more useful than vague praise.
And it protects you from another psychological trap: overconfidence.
Research on self-assessment shows that people can systematically misjudge their own abilities in both directions. The famous Dunning-Kruger effect is often oversimplified online; later research has challenged the idea that it straightforwardly proves that incompetent people are uniquely unaware of their incompetence.
❌The goal isn't inflated confidence.
πThe goal is calibrated confidence.
Impostor Feelings Don't Automatically Mean You're a Fraud
This is where the conversation gets interesting.
You can be successful and still feel like you don't belong.
Research on the impostor phenomenon has found it across different professional populations, but researchers also caution that estimates vary dramatically depending on definitions and measurement tools. A 2019 systematic review of 62 studies found prevalence estimates ranging from 9% to 82%.
A 2025 meta-analysis among health-service providers estimated prevalence at 62%, but the researchers also found substantial variation between studies.
So be careful when someone says:
“Everyone has imposter syndrome.”
That's too simplistic.
But there is a useful insight here:
You can have external evidence of competence while your internal narrative says:
“They are going to find out I don't belong here.”
That conflict can be exhausting.
The solution isn't necessarily to convince yourself you're perfect.
It's to separate two questions:
“Am I uncomfortable?”
from
“Am I incapable?”
Those are completely different questions.
Stop Confusing Being Inexperienced With Being Incapable
This is one of the most expensive mistakes in a career.
Someone gets a new responsibility.
They don't immediately know what they're doing.
Their brain says:
“I'm not good at this.”
But the accurate statement may be:
“I've never done this before.”
Those statements are not remotely equivalent.
A first-time manager isn't supposed to manage like someone with 15 years of leadership experience.
A new entrepreneur isn't supposed to understand everything on day one.
A first-time public speaker isn't supposed to command a room like a professional keynote speaker.
A person changing careers is supposed to be a beginner.
πBeginner is a stage, not an identity.
If you interpret every learning curve as proof of inadequacy, you'll abandon opportunities precisely when the learning is beginning to compound.
The Workplace Rewards Visible Confidence But Visibility Isn't The Same As Value
Here's the uncomfortable workplace truth:
Being good at your job and being perceived as capable are not always the same thing.
You can quietly produce excellent work while someone else confidently explains mediocre work.
You can have the better idea but hesitate to say it.
You can know the answer but preface it with:
“I'm probably wrong, but…”
You can deserve the opportunity but never ask for it.
This doesn't mean everyone should become louder.
It means competence sometimes needs visibility.
Instead of:
❌“I'm sorry, this might be a stupid idea…”
Try:
π₯“I have a different perspective.”
Instead of:
❌“I don't know if I'm qualified…”
Try:
π₯“Here's what I've learned from doing this.”
Instead of:
❌“Would it be okay if I…”
Try:
π₯“I'd like to take ownership of this.”
This isn't arrogance.
It's professional clarity.
And research on self-efficacy and career development suggests the relationship can operate in both directions: self-efficacy can support performance and career advancement, while successful performance and advancement can subsequently strengthen self-efficacy. A 2025 longitudinal study of 976 employees found evidence consistent with this reciprocal relationship.
That's important.
You don't simply become confident and then succeed.
Sometimes you succeed, recognize the evidence, and then become more confident.
You Don't Need More Confidence. You Need a Bigger Definition of Yourself.
Maybe this is the part nobody wants to hear:
Your identity may still be based on an older version of you.
You failed at something three years ago.
You're still carrying it.
Someone criticized you early in your career.
You're still organizing your decisions around their opinion.
You were told you weren't leadership material.
You've been unconsciously trying to prove them wrong ever since.
You had one business fail.
Now every new idea feels dangerous.
But your past is evidence of what happened.
It isn't a permanent ceiling on what can happen next.
The most powerful confidence shift isn't:
❌“I'm the best.”
It's:
π“I have more evidence, experience, skills, and options than I used to.”
That's believable.
That's measurable.
And that's sustainable.
You’re not always insecure you may be underestimating yourself. ✨
Stop measuring your potential by how confident you feel. Start measuring it by the evidence of what you’ve already accomplished. π
Confidence isn’t pretending you’re capable. It’s recognizing that you already are. π‘
❤️Like & share to brighten someone’s day!
πLet’s inspire each other!
π Subscribe for more career growth tips, leadership strategies, and daily professional motivation.
πFeel free to visit us, call us, or email us and a friendly Synergy Team Member will reach out to you shortly.
#SelfConfidence #CareerGrowth #Leadership #PersonalDevelopment #SuccessMindset
π Website: SynergyTeamPower.com
☎️ Phone: 949/838-4970
π§ E-mail: maryna@synergyteampower.com

.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment